Fifth Grade Families: MIDDLE SCHOOL TIMELINE from the MS Enrollment Office
To ensure families have enough time to learn about school options, this year’s application deadline will be later than the traditional early December deadline.
· Welcome Letters have been made available to families before the application opens.
o Each Welcome Letter has instructions on creating a MySchools account, and the account creation code that lets parents link their child to their account.
o Welcome Letters will be mailed directly to all families; elementary school staff may also provide them to families.
o Families can continue exploring options through the MySchools Directory.
· After Welcome Letters are distributed to families, the application will then open.
o At that time, families will then be able to access their personalized application, rank up to 12 program choices, and submit their application up until the application deadline.
o As in past years, families may also elect to submit their application through their elementary school.
Directories: This year, due to budget priorities, the middle school directory and admissions guide will exist exclusively in a virtual format and will not be printed.
· We know this was a tool that families used to explore school options; however, the MySchools Directory contains all the information about middle schools that was previously in printed admissions guides.
· As the application opens, families may learn about the admissions process on our website where they can both read an admission guide and watch videos explaining the admissions process.
Open Houses and Fairs: Middle Schools will hold virtual open houses.
Families Temporarily Living Outside NYC: Students who have temporarily relocated outside NYC, but who have maintained a permanent residence in NYC, may participate in admissions.
· Explore school options online in the MySchools middle school directory
· Visit our website, where they can find the latest updates